Friday, January 22, 2010

Should I Be Making Cookies?


Nope, I shouldn't. Did I make cookies? Why, yes, I did. Should I be eating said cookies? Again, no. Am I eating cookies? Not at this very minute, but I feel a craving coming on....

I received a Borders gift card for Christmas and happily spent a portion of it on Isa's and Terry's (as in the Isa and Terry who wrote "Veganomicon" and "Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World") new cookbook, "Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar." The first battle of the invasion began yesterday when I made one of the most basic cookies one can make, chocolate chip cookies. It is one of the most common cookies, I know, but also one of the most difficult to find as a vegan. Oh, they're out there, but they are flat, or too crunchy, or too oily or too funny looking. You get the picture. I've made vegan chocolate chip cookies in the past, but it has never been this easy or this perfect! I highly recommend this recipe.

Chocolate Chip Cookies - makes 2 dozen 2-inch cookies

1/2 c brown sugar
1/4 c white sugar
2/3 c canola oil
1/4 c unsweetened almond milk (or your favorite nondairy milk)
1 T tapioca flour (I just used cornstarch.)
2 t pure vanilla extract
1 and 1/2 c all-purpose flour
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
3/4 c chocolate chips


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease two large baking sheets.
2. Combine sugars, oil, almond milk, and tapioca flour in a mixing bowl. Use a strong fork and mix really well, for about 2 minutes, until the mixture resembles smooth caramel. There is a chemical reaction when sugar and oil collide, so it's important that you don't get lazy about that step. Mix in the vanilla.
3. Add 1 cup of the flour, the baking soda, and the salt. Mix until well incorporated. Mix in the rest of the flour. Fold in the chocolate chips. The dough will be a little stiff, so use your hands to really work the chips in.
4. Roll dough into walnut-size balls and flatten to about 1 and 1/2 inches and bake for six minutes. Let cool on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes then transfer to wire racks.

Amanda's note: Perhaps because I used cornstarch instead of tapioca flour, my dough wasn't particularly stiff. I dropped the cookies in tablespoon and a half sized globs. They needed to bake for almost 15 minutes. The point is this, if you change a recipe, you may need to change the baking times. Just watch them carefully the first time you make them.

No comments:

Post a Comment