Tuesday, January 12, 2010

What Do Vegans Eat? Cookies!

As promised, here is one of the recipes I mentioned in my holiday post. Unfortunately, all of the cookies were eaten before I had a chance to photograph them. I'll try to do better next time!

EARL GREY TEA COOKIES

I found this recipe a few years ago on Martha Stewart's website. I veganized and simplified it a bit. These aren't a really sweet cookie, so all children may not like them. I prefer cookies that aren't too sweet, so this is one of my all-time favorite cookie recipes.

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 T finely ground Earl Grey tea leaves (I actually don't grind mine. I just empty out the tea bags.)
1/2 t salt
2 sticks of vegan soy margarine (I prefer Earth Balance)
1/2 c confectioner's sugar
1.5 T orange zest

1. Combine the flour, tea and salt in a small bowl.
2. Using an electric stand mixer or hand mixer, combine the butter, sugar and zest until creamy.
3. With the mixture on low, slowly add the flour mixture until well combined.
4. Divide the dough in half and form each half into a log. Wrap the "logs" in parchment paper or plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hour.
5. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
6. Slice the "logs" into 1/4" slices and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
7. Bake for approximately 13 minutes (or until the edges turn a golden brown. Cool on wire racks.

These cookies look like little pillows and are, obviously, delicious with a cup of tea!

No comments:

Post a Comment