Tuesday, March 10, 2009

I Asked Politely

Long, long ago I asked LB not to turn into a two year-old. I asked politely, using my "good manners" and pleading tone. Well, she's gone and done it. She turned two in November, and now I'm really feeling it. She lulled me into a false sense of security with her nearly perfect behavior for the last few months. Then, about three weeks ago, it began. I know what you're thinking. I've read all of the parenting mags and books. I know she's testing her boundaries, becoming more independent and frustrated because she can't do everything she wants to do and doesn't know how to express this frustration. It can still be a nightmarish reality. Don't get me wrong. I adore her, worship her even. But she and the puppy are driving me absolutely bonkers! They taunt and tease each other and then act like best friends. Seriously, they argue. I can't explain it, but they do. So, all day today I hear the dog chasing the toddler and then the toddler chasing the dog. Then the toddler decides to yell repeatedly, "that's mine, that's mine, that's mine." The dog backs off and is stunned to see the toddler grab her bone and head for the kennel. Obviously the toddler's attitude is "what's your is mine and what's mine is mine." I guess I'm going to have to ride it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment